Join the CATCO Team
Our purpose is to harness the transformational power of theatre that engages with our current moment to inspire a community of empathy.
CATCO strives to become a nationally recognized, anti-racist contemporary theatre company that anchors a thriving Columbus theatre ecosystem in an empathetic, equitable world.
Primary Function: The Education Director leads CATCO’s robust Education programming, including in-school residencies, on site classes, camps, and community partnerships. The Education Director collaborates with leadership to strengthen and develop programming that aligns with CATCO’s core beliefs, mission, and vision. The ideal candidate has a passion for education and experience working with diverse students of all ages. The position reports to and is supported by the Artistic Director and will collaborate with the entire CATCO staff, as well as applicable contractors. This position supervises a full-time Education Coordinator and a team of Artist Educators/Teaching Artists.
Additional Information: This is a full-time, salaried position working approximately 40 hours per week. The ability to work some evening and weekend hours for classes and community events is required. The selected candidate will be eligible for CATCO’s benefit package, including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), complimentary tickets to productions, and professional development opportunities for personal and professional growth (as funding allows). The salary range for this position is $45,000 – $50,000.
Characteristics of a Successful Applicant
In this critical position, you will play an active role in helping the Contemporary American Theatre Company (CATCO) intentionally work toward becoming an anti-racist, nationally recognized contemporary theatre company that anchors a thriving local theatre ecosystem in Columbus, Ohio.
The person for this position has a passion for working with young people and has experience teaching a wide range of ages. You should come to this role with a commitment to building on the strong foundation and legacy of CATCO’s work with young people. CATCO, and the Phoenix Theatre for Children before that, have a strong reputation for quality education programming that serves students across the Columbus area with in-depth programs in classrooms, after-school, and at the theatre. This new leader will build on this history, taking CATCO’s Education programming to the next level, serving more students, and building deeper relationships with students and teachers.
The person for this position is empathetic toward others and compassionate in their relationships with community partners, school leaders, students, and CATCO staff. They are an experienced teaching artist and enthusiastic about training the next generation of exceptional artist educators.
This team player is able to work collaboratively, as well as independently, to fully realize our vision for creating extraordinary educational programming that fosters creative curiosity, personal growth, and connections rooted in empathy. The position requires the ideal candidate to have the skills necessary to make independent decisions that advance the vision, mission and purpose of CATCO. You will bring a strong work ethic to your work with students, teachers, school administrators, parents, staff, and artists.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead CATCO’s Education Department in alignment with CATCO’s mission and vision.
- Foster a work environment that demonstrates cultural competency and leads with CATCO’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
- Supervise Education staff (one other full time staff member and part-time artist educators).
- With the Artistic and Executive Directors, align Education work with CATCO’s new strategic plan.
- Oversee the expansion of CATCO’s grant funded in-school residency program.
- Manage Education programs including in-school residencies, after school programs, collaborations with community organization, classes, and camps.
- Establish and manage the Education Department budget
- Work with Marketing staff to fill a full roster of camps and classes.
- Serve as the public spokesperson for CATCO’s Education programs.
- Collaborate with Development team on grants and other fundraising for Education programs
- As a member of the CATCO Leadership team, bring your perspective to artistic programming decisions.
- As needed, teach classes, camps, residencies, and workshops
- Oversee the development of CATCO’s curriculum and play guides
- Serve on Board/Staff committees as required, including facilitation of the Education Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent time management skills, including attending to numerous projects concurrently.
- Basic understanding of Ohio’s Learning Standards with the ability to link them with Drama Theatre Standards.
- Ability to translate standards into curriculum.
- Strong commitment to health and safety standards.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in order to build an anti-racist organization.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigration status.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, as class and community event schedule necessitates.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and Google Suite.
- Exhibits creativity, enthusiasm, and appreciation for theatrical storytelling.
- Reliable transportation to multiple school and community-based locations for residencies and classes
Credentials and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in theatre or education, or relevant experience.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- At least three years related work experience, ideally working with young people in a performing arts setting.
- Experience designing, implementing and analyzing program evaluations, a plus.
- Experience in a variety of school settings, a plus.
This position will require a satisfactory background check.
Required Application Materials: Resume and Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in the position, as well as what makes you the best candidate for the position. This position will remain open until filled.
About the Contemporary American Theatre Company (CATCO)
The Contemporary American Theatre Company (CATCO) is a professional theatre company located in downtown Columbus, Ohio. We are classified as a Small Professional Theatre (SPT) by the Actor’s Equity Association.
Our vision is to become an anti-racist, nationally recognized contemporary theatre company, anchoring a thriving Columbus theatre ecosystem in an empathetic, equitable world. We believe our purpose is to harness the transformational power of theatre that engages with our current moment to inspire a community of empathy.
We achieve our purpose by being responsive to community needs through exceptional:
- Productions for adults and young people that immerse audiences in a communal experience, captivating senses and emotions; and
- Education Programs that foster creative curiosity, personal growth, and connections rooted in empathy.
We achieve our purpose by being responsive to community needs through exceptional productions for adults and young people that immerse audiences in a communal experience captivating senses and emotions, and education programs that foster creative curiosity, personal growth, and connections rooted in empathy.
CATCO is committed to maintaining a workforce that is diverse across many lines of difference. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for every staff member. CATCO does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, lactation status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other protected status.